Fireplaces are a cozy gathering spot in your home during the fall and winter. Although they are energy-efficient and can supplement your furnace's heat, to an extent, there are a few safety considerations to keep in mind.
They Get HOT! Whether you're using a gas or firewood fireplace, they can burn skin and ignite materials close by. Make sure to keep children and any flammable objects away. Never leave a fire unattended and put it out or turn it off when you leave.
Clean Them Just like an HVAC system, fireplaces need to be cleaned and regularly inspected for safety and efficiency.
Avoid Fire Starters Never use a flammable liquid to start a fire for an indoor fireplace. Also, soft or moist wood accelerates creosote buildup which can cause chimney fires. It's best to use high quality, dry wood.
Don't Burn Trash Never use cardboard or other household trash to fuel your fire. This causes potentially dangerous smoke and debris.
Check Smoke Detectors Having working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home is a must for every homeowner, fireplace or not. Make sure to test them monthly and change the batteries annually.
Do you have questions about your fireplace or gas lines? Call 72 Degrees Comfort Company at 515-965-7272 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
#fireplacesafety #fireplacetips #ankenyfireplaces #hvac #ankenyheatingandcooling